In addition to serving the local and global communities, there are a number of ways to get involved in the ministries at Westminster. See below for descriptions of committees and ministries where you can share your gifts within the church.
Assimilation Committee: Helps members become more involved in the life of the church, coordinates with Inquirers’ Class, hosts new member dinners, and contacts visitors and new members.
- Child & Youth Christian Education Committee: Designs, supports, and encourages Christian Education efforts for children, youth, and intergenerational groups.
- Adult Christian Education Committee: Oversees educational offerings for adults.
- Library Committee: Organizes and promotes the church library.
- Church School Teachers: Ream teaches any age level for about 13 Sundays a year.
- WPC Community Garden Volunteers: Plant produce and care for garden to benefit the Food Bank.
- Faith Family Circles Volunteers: Participate in a week of incredible Christian Education for 4-year-olds through 5th graders in the summer.
- WOW: First Wednesdays: Help plan monthly intergenerational events for entire congregation. Events are held monthly on first Wednesdays from October-May.
Congregational Care Committee: provides friendship and services for members of the WPC family in times of need.
- Stephen Ministry: Provides confidential care to members in need. This is a two-year commitment, which includes 50 hours of training.
- Prayer Shawl Ministry: Knits and dedicates shawls for those who are ill or in crisis.
- Birthday Committee: Sends birthday cards to WPC members. Meets twice a month on Wednesday mornings to address cards.
Fellowship Committee: Organizes special meals and social events at WPC.
- Culinary Committee: Coordinates Wednesday Dinners twice a month
Global Missions Committee: Supports mission work and disaster relief efforts outside of Durham.
- Haiti Mission Team: Supports efforts surrounding work trips to Haiti.
Local Missions Committee: Supports a variety of programs meeting needs in Durham.
- Neighborhood Mission Team: Supports local schools and works to get to know our neighbors.
Property Management: Oversees the policies, maintenance, contracts, and planning related to the church’s campus.
- Geezers: Make minor repairs, run errands, etc., in approximately 3-hour shifts once a week as able.
Stewardship Committee: Plans and engages members in the annual stewardship campaign.
Worship Committee: Directs all matters having to do with worship.
- Chancel Choir: Leads congregation in 11am worship. Practices on Thursdays at 7:30pm.
- Handbell Choir: Provides music for worship and other occasions.
- Brass Ensemble: Plays 2-3 times per year for special services like Christmas Eve and Easter Sunday; rehearses as needed.
- Worship Volunteers
- Acolytes: Light the candles on the retable at the start of the 11am service 4 times a year; must be at least 8 years old or a rising 3rd grader.
- Lector: Serves as reader during worship 4 times a year.
- Nursery Volunteers: Care for our children during worship 4 times a year. Child & Youth Protection Policy training required.
- Offering Counters: Serve in teams to count and record Sunday offerings after each morning worship service 4-5 times a year.
- Sound Technician: Operates audio system for worship services and other special events 8-10 times a year.
- Ushers: Serve in teams to greet and usher worshippers at 4 services a year.
- Sanctuary Guild: Sees that the Sanctuary is cared for and that the appropriate liturgical colors are in place.
- Flower Guild: Provides fresh cut flowers or potted plants for the chancel and narthex each Sunday, and decorates the church for the liturgical seasons.
- Wedding Committee: Assists pastors in directing weddings held at WPC.
- Funeral Committee: Provides food for receptions following memorial services held at WPC.