Monthly Archives: December, 2018
Intergenerational Advent Serving & Learning
December 16, 9:45-10:45am
Haiti Culture Experience & Book Drive
Drop by the Parlor to sample Haitian coffee and Haitian Ginger Cake (Bonbon Siwo) and donate a book. The Haiti Education Mission Team will be collecting children’s books in French and Haitian Creole to take to the classrooms this spring. Research shows that each classroom should have 20 books per student. The classrooms had no books last year, so the team took a small collection and hopes to bring even more books on their Spring 2019 trip. See the list of recommended books at http://bit.ly/haitibooklist.
Take part in the Westminster tradition of Christmas caroling at the homes of some of our beloved members. Meet in the WPC parking lot on Wednesday, December 19, at 6:15pm, and we’ll caravan through our route. We’ll return to the church afterward for warm drinks and snacks in the Parlor. All are welcome!
2019 All Church Retreat: For the Beauty of the Earth
Friday, February 8 at 6:30pm to Sunday, February 10 at 12pm | Montreat Conference Center
Looking for a way to get to know fellow church members of all ages better?
Looking for a chance to get away with your family?
Looking for some time to reflect on God’s work in your life?
If you answered “yes” to any of those questions, then come to Montreat! Westminster’s intergenerational All Church Retreat is a time for fellowship, fun, quiet, play, and study. This year, we’ll explore the theme of God’s gift of creation and our own creativity. What better place than Montreat to experience the holy in God’s amazing creation!
There will be time for hiking, reading, napping, snow-tubing, and exploring Black Mountain on Saturday afternoon. We’ll have a BBQ dinner Saturday evening, followed by square dancing! The retreat will finish with a casual worship service on Sunday morning. Childcare will be available during our program and worship time for children ages four and younger.
- Retreat Cost (includes Saturday dinner) Family: $85; Single: $40
- Lodging Cost Please provide your lodging preference when you register; the planning team will assign rooms and email you your remaining balance. Due to limited availability, rooms will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. Cost below is for two nights’ lodging in the Assembly Inn.
- One room (2 twin beds) with private bathroom: $170
- Two rooms with adjoining bathroom: $280
- Room share: $85
- Private homes are available for rent around Montreat if you want to get together with a few people/families.
- Food Cost Meals at Assembly Inn offer a great variety for everyone. Saturday dinner is included in the cost of the retreat. You MUST sign up for the meal plan (Saturday breakfast, lunch; Sunday breakfast) if you stay at Assembly Inn. Cost: Adult (12 and older) – $28; Child (age 5-11) – $14; Child 4 and under – free.
Register now at www.bit.ly/myWPCevent or complete a registration form from the Mission Center by Sunday, January 6. Refunds cannot be made after January 6.
Contact: Kristina Gilbert
Watch our youngest WPC members tell the story of Jesus’ birth on Sunday, December 16, at 4:30pm, then come to the Fellowship Hall for a Celebration Potluck Dinner, hosted by the Present Word Sunday School Class. We will celebrate our youngest thespians and give thanks for everyone who worked so diligently on the Pageant. Please bring the following dish based on your last name:
- A-H – Desserts
- I-N – Main Dishes
- O-Z – Side Dishes
The Fellowship Committee will provide ham as the main entrée. NEW this year: A Photo Booth! Have fun taking a few seasonal selfies and family photos. Don’t miss this evening of fun and fellowship!