In addition to serving the local and global communities, there are a number of ways to get involved in the ministries at Westminster. See below for descriptions of committees and ministries where you can share your gifts within the church.
Assimilation Committee: helps members become more involved in the life of the church, coordinates with Inquirers’ Class, hosts new member dinners, and contacts visitors and new members.
- The Barnabas Project: matches a current, active member with a new member or family to help them find their place in the life, work, and play of Westminster.
Christian Education Committee: designs, supports, and encourages Christian Education efforts.
- Adult Christian Education Committee: Oversees educational offerings for adults.
- Library Committee: organizes and promotes the church library.
- Church School Teacher: team teaches any age level for about 13 Sundays a year.
- WPC Community Garden Volunteers: plant produce and care for garden to benefit the Food Bank.
- Vacation Church School Volunteers: participate in a week of incredible Christian Education for 4-year-olds through 5th graders in June.
- we•form kids: Help with weekly kids’ ministry program for kindergartners-5th graders. Meets every Wednesday from 5-6pm.
- WOW (Westminster on Wednesday): Help plan monthly intergenerational events for entire congregation. Events are held monthly on 1st Wednesdays.
Congregational Care Committee: provides friendship and services for members of the WPC family in times of need.
- Stephen Ministry: provides confidential care to members in need. This is a two-year commitment, which includes 50 hours of training.
- Prayer Shawl Ministry: knits and dedicates shawls for those who are ill or in crisis.
- Birthday Committee: sends birthday cards to WPC members. Meets twice a month on Wednesday mornings to address cards.
Facilities & Grounds Committee: is responsible for the policies, maintenance, contracts, and planning relating to the church’s physical plant.
- Geezers: make minor repairs, run errands, etc., in approximately 3-hour shifts once a week as able.
Fellowship Committee: organizes special meals and social events at WPC.
- Culinary Committee: coordinates Wednesday Dinners twice a month
Global Missions Committee: supports mission work and disaster relief efforts outside of Durham.
- Haiti Mission Team: supports medical and construction trips to Haiti.
Local Missions Committee: supports a variety of programs meeting needs in Durham.
- Neighborhood Mission Team: supports local schools and works to get to know our neighbors.
Stewardship Committee: plans and engages members in the annual stewardship campaign.
Worship Committee: directs all matters having to do with worship.
- Chancel Choir: leads congregation in 11am worship. Practices on Thursdays at 7:30pm.
- Handbell Choir: provides music for worship and other occasions.
- Brass Ensemble: plays 2-3 times per year for special services like Christmas Eve and Easter Sunday; rehearses as needed.
- Worship Volunteers
- Acolytes: light the candles on the retable at the start of the 11am service 4 times a year; must be at least 8 years old or a rising 3rd grader.
- Lector: serves as reader during worship 4 times a year.
- Nursery Volunteers: care for our children during worship 4 times a year. Child & Youth Protection Policy training required.
- Offering Counters: serve in teams to count and record Sunday offerings after each morning worship service 4-5 times a year.
- Sound Technician: operates audio system for worship services and other special events 8-10 times a year.
- Ushers: serve in teams to greet and usher worshippers at 4 services a year.
- Sanctuary Guild: sees that the Sanctuary is cared for and that the appropriate liturgical colors are in place.
- Flower Guild: provides fresh cut flowers or potted plants for the chancel and narthex each Sunday, and decorates the church for the liturgical seasons.
- Wedding Committee: assists pastors in directing weddings held at WPC.
- Funeral Committee: provides food for receptions following memorial services held at WPC.