In a continuing effort to share a better understanding of the church’s financial strengths and needs, the Session is undertaking a series of newsletter articles about how committees work to define the mission and program of the church, and how the program is funded and managed through the operating budget. The fourth installment explains the Fellowship Committee’s work.
Fellowship is for everyone! The Fellowship Committee focuses on providing opportunities for the entire congregation to engage socially with one another within the programming of the church. We do our best to make the most of what we have to benefit you! And it seems like food brings us together. A majority of our budget is spent on food for events hosted by the Fellowship Committee, such as:
- Haiti Commissioning Reception: Cake and lemonade in the Courtyard
- Pageant Potluck: Main dish to compliment dishes from the congregation
- Caroling in December: Hot chocolate and treats after caroling
- Pancake Dinner: A good portion of the food items needed are donated by a local company
- Easter Brunch: Extra breakfast food to make sure there’s enough for everyone
- Confirmation Sunday Reception: Cake and lemonade in the Courtyard
- Summer Kick-off Potluck: Main dish to compliment dishes from the congregation
- Summer Lemonade: Support for volunteers who make lemonade to enjoy after the 10am summer services
We are also responsible for the Culinary Committee, which provides meals to the congregation on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Wednesdays of every month. This year our committee decided on a mix of making meals plus including a few catered meals. Catering is more expensive to fund than making our meals, but our donation request of $5/person or $20/family (max) enables us to maintain the balance. Since this is a new program for the church (about 1.5 years), we used a portion of last year’s remaining budget to purchase a few items to help improve our cooking in the kitchen.
The Session graciously granted the Fellowship Committee’s requested budget this year. We plan to use a portion of this to rent a tent and purchase food for Rally Day this year. It should be a fantastic day for everyone to come and enjoy time together as we kick-off a new year of activities at the church and support our youth program.